How to Get ASCS Certified
How to Prepare for the ASCS Exam
The ASCS examination tests the knowledge and skills needed to become successful in the HVAC inspection, cleaning and restoration industry. The exam covers a range of topics, including indoor air quality, safety, mechanical, field experience, and the ability to correctly apply practical knowledge.
No one single publication, training course or reference guide will give you all the information you need to prepare for the ASCS exam. It is strongly recommended that prior to taking the exam, test takers review the recommended reading materials listed in the ASCS Candidate's Guide that were used as references during the development of the ASCS certification exam.
Step 1: Review the ASCS Candidate's Guide
The first step in preparing for the ASCS Exam is to review the ASCS Candidate's Guide in its entirety, including the exam content outline and recommended reading list included in the Guide.
Step 2: Study
There are a variety of optional recommended study materials and training opportunities available to help you prepare for the ASCS exam, including the following:
- Ventilation Maintenance Technician (VMT) Course
- ASCS to the ACR Standard Online Training Course
- ASCS to the ACR Standard Training Course
(Offered at Fall Technical Conference and Annual Meeting & Exposition)
ASCS certification study materials are available for those who wish to study reference materials on their own. DO NOT order these materials if you have already registered for the ASCS Online Course or the ASCS to the ACR Standard Course, as these materials are provided upon registration for those courses.
NADCA has developed a short list of practice test questions to give candidates a general idea of the common format of typical questions included in the ASCS Certification exam. Please note that questions are not actual test questions used in the ASCS exam. No representations or warranties are made by NADCA that completing these practice test questions will assure candidates of passing the ASCS certification exam. Candidates are encouraged to review the ASCS Candidates Guide and take the time to review recommended reference materials prior to taking the ASCS exam.
Step 3: Register to Take the ASCS Certification Exam
The ASCS exam is available at testing centers throughout the world and at the NADCA Annual Meeting and Fall Technical Conference. Candidates taking the ASCS exam at a testing center must follow these steps.
Please note: ASCS certification is renewable each year by June 30. It is your responsibility as an ASCS to maintain certification and apply for certification renewal in advance of the deadline. Certification is valid until the expiration date listed on your certificate. Any individual who passes the ASCS certification exam within the period of July 1 – February 28 will be provided with a certificate expiration date of June 30 within the year of the upcoming renewal period. Any individual who passes the ASCS certification exam within the period of March 1 – June 30, will be provided with a certificate expiration date of June 30 of the following renewal year.
If the Member Promo Package application has been submitted, you must still create an account in the test-taker’s name, and the ASCS exam must be scheduled by a member of the NADCA staff. Contact NADCA to schedule the exam when the account has been created.
- Visit the NADCA Testing Site.
- In the top right-hand corner of the page, click “Create a New Account.”
- Fill out the company information. This section requires a “Member Security Code,” which is provided upon submission of the NADCA member application. If you have lost/misplaced the “Member Security Code,” please call NADCA at 855-GO NADCA (466-2322).
- The blue bar across the middle of the NADCA Testing Site includes an option to “Register for a Test.” Click this link to see all NADCA testing options. Choose the ASCS Exam by clicking the orange “Buy Now” box ($385). This will open a page with testing center search options.
- For candidates with a non-member company, the ASCS exam must be scheduled in the non-member area of the NADCA Testing Site. This link is at the bottom of the testing site homepage.
- Unless the Member Promo Package application has been submitted, payment must be made through the testing site with a valid Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- If a candidate fails the exam, they may schedule to retake the exam at a retake fee of $100.